Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Counterfire and other questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 am 

I had a few questions that accumulated over our last few games that careful reading of rules couldn't resolve:

1. Can you still counterfire kinetics if the incoming shells are intercepted at the segment of impact?

2. Related to the previous question, in which phase in the sequence of play do counterfired shells intercept their target?

3. Rule 2.344 states:
Quote:
(F2.344) On the circled segment, roll to hit for each defensive shell as if it was a ZDCM firing at Imp-1, using the RoC of the inbound weapon to select the column; ignore the RoC of the counter-fired defensive shells. This ZDCM check is done at a to-hit number that is two worse than the standard targeting number.

My guess is that "as if it was a ZDCM firing at Imp-1" means it follows rule F2.32:
Quote:
(F2.32) On the ZDLS table, take the time to impact and shif one row down on the table, then cross-reference the RoC of the incoming projectile. Treat a fractional number as a 0. A roll of that number or less on a d10 hits the target.

To give an example, let's say that RoC of the incoming projectile is 6 and I try to determine whether a counterfire shell hits or not. I take a Imp-1 row and shift down to Imp-2 as per F2.32. That gives me the target number of 3 but I further substract 2 from it per F2.344. Now if I roll 1 the counterfire shell hits, ignoring any hardening the target might have, otherwise the incoming shell survives.

Am I understanding the rules correctly? Do you shift down one row like ZDCM or not? Worse means less in this case, since in this case rolling low is better, right?

3. Do you know whether you destroyed a nuke or a decoy and which rule governs this?

4. There were a couple of threads about expendable budget revision, but they were mostly about historical scenario. What about simple setup? The rulebook from December 2011 still lists 5% of dueling cost as expendable budget, but that basically means you can't purchase missiles at all. We have played mostly with 10% of dueling cost as fro expendable budget, but what is the official position on this?

Speaking of historical scenarios, I've now seen three different versions of expendable: the original (low) values in my printed copy in AV:T, the revised values from the forum and the third set of values from 2011 version of the setting book. I guess that the latter are correct?

5. How do I know whether there are newer book revisions for AV:T (Nov-Dec 2011) and Squadron Strike 2nd edition (Oct 2016)?

Edit: 6. If both players fire lasers at each other on the same segment and no one spent flex points on weapons sequencing, who is firing first? Or are they firing at the same time and any potential damage to weapons does not count till the next phase of the firing sequence (like in Squadron Strike)?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Counterfire and other questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am 

Quote:
1. Can you still counterfire kinetics if the incoming shells are intercepted at the segment of impact?

No.

Quote:
2. Related to the previous question, in which phase in the sequence of play do counterfired shells intercept their target?

They impact during the "Allocate Point Defense" step of Long Orders.

Quote:
3. Rule 2.344 states:
Quote:
(F2.344) On the circled segment, roll to hit for each defensive shell as if it was a ZDCM firing at Imp-1, using the RoC of the inbound weapon to select the column; ignore the RoC of the counter-fired defensive shells. This ZDCM check is done at a to-hit number that is two worse than the standard targeting number.

My guess is that "as if it was a ZDCM firing at Imp-1" means it follows rule F2.32:
Quote:
(F2.32) On the ZDLS table, take the time to impact and shif one row down on the table, then cross-reference the RoC of the incoming projectile. Treat a fractional number as a 0. A roll of that number or less on a d10 hits the target.

To give an example, let's say that RoC of the incoming projectile is 6 and I try to determine whether a counterfire shell hits or not. I take a Imp-1 row and shift down to Imp-2 as per F2.32. That gives me the target number of 3 but I further substract 2 from it per F2.344. Now if I roll 1 the counterfire shell hits, ignoring any hardening the target might have, otherwise the incoming shell survives.

You've got it exactly.

Quote:
3. Do you know whether you destroyed a nuke or a decoy and which rule governs this?

You will know if you destroyed a nuke or decoy - the signatures on destruction will be quite distinct.

Quote:
4. There were a couple of threads about expendable budget revision, but they were mostly about historical scenario. What about simple setup? The rulebook from December 2011 still lists 5% of dueling cost as expendable budget, but that basically means you can't purchase missiles at all. We have played mostly with 10% of dueling cost as fro expendable budget, but what is the official position on this?

Use the third set from the 2011 edition. 10% is a reasonable duelling budget.

Quote:
Speaking of historical scenarios, I've now seen three different versions of expendable: the original (low) values in my printed copy in AV:T, the revised values from the forum and the third set of values from 2011 version of the setting book. I guess that the latter are correct?

Use the 2011 version.
Quote:
5. How do I know whether there are newer book revisions for AV:T (Nov-Dec 2011) and Squadron Strike 2nd edition (Oct 2016)?

Right now, there's not a great way to do this. One of the things we're working on behind the scenes is a new hosting/login setup that will allow me to do persistent customer accounts, and if your rulebooks are PDF, there will be a revised download in your account folder.

Until _very_ recently, with some errata from Ethan, the November 2011 versions of the AV:T rulebook were the most recently. It's now August 2016.

I've got a September 2017 SS rulebook revision that I'm printing from.

Quote:
Edit: 6. If both players fire lasers at each other on the same segment and no one spent flex points on weapons sequencing, who is firing first? Or are they firing at the same time and any potential damage to weapons does not count till the next phase of the firing sequence (like in Squadron Strike)?

They are firing at the same time and damage is simultaneous firing step of the phase.

Post subject: Re: Counterfire and other questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 am 

Thank you for clarification, Ken. It will help us a lot!

Profile E-mail