Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:58 pm 

I guess this isn't so much a rules question, but how does a Wasp get missiles launched vs. a Rafik without getting them shot down? Out to 30 range, a 3MRLS is going to get at least a D1 versus a burning missle with 3 vulnerability, so a very likely kill. At short range, with the 3MRLS occupied with ship killing, the 2MRLS should be sufficient.

At least the Rafik has six missiles to play with...

Are the big missiles just used to absorb fire (expensive SFB drones)?

Any tactical hints would be appreciated...

Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:59 pm 

A potential strategy:

Keep the Rafik's lasers busy with coilgun shots or missiles while getting into range for your own lasers. Keep the rate of closure high and salvo both just before getting into beam weapons range - with the high RoC, the Rafik is forced to thrust out of the way (limiting the number of mounts that can bear) or use anti-ship weapons to deal with the ordnance. THen you can use your beams to snipe his weapons mounts and salvo coilguns or missiles again at very close range.

I'll have to give this one a try myself and see if it works. James Sterrett and I did a gunboat battle once involving LOTS of seeking weapons - it gave me a real appreciation for movement constraints. Remember, one of the primary purposes of seeking weapons is to force the other guy to maneuver where you want him to. Everything he uses to shoot down your ordnance is something he's not shooting at you.

Harpoon and other naval combat games have a saying I think is appropriate here - "Shoot the archer, not the arrows"

Commentor-at-large

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:09 pm 

Noticing that range-30 breakpoint is your first key. (I don't pretend to have all the keys. :) )

Now you want to launch the missile either such that it burns out before range 30, or in close enough that shooting down the missile becomes one of several bad options.

As Matt suggests, you wind up needing a plan: The missiles and coilguns try to force the enemy to choose between getting hit or doing something to not get hit: shooting them down or evading them. You try to structure the salvo of coilguns and missiles such that evasion carries the enemy into your pretty-good laser firing solution (given your plan of maneuver), while shooting them down will pull the enemy's teeth and ensure that even an imperfect laser shot will face no return fire, giving you a better chance to refine your vector to turn imperfect into pretty-good. Of course, if the munitions *hit*, so much the better. :)

It isn't easy. :)

The duel Matt refers to used Musharrifs, as I recall - lots of Katy fire back and forth. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:54 pm 

Forgot the most important part - with v1.5 Wasps, the nose armor is truly massive. Take advantage of that - the Rafik will have a hard time sniping through the armor, so in a one-on-one you can close without fear if you keep him in your nose arc. Once you close in, salvo the 2CGs, fire all 4 4SRLS and try to snipe a weapons mount with one of them, then the following segment salvo the CGs again and both big missiles. If he's still in your nose arc, you've got 8 ZDPBs to deal with his incoming CG and tri-missile fire.

I like the new Wasp - I'm going to have to play with that one in the next couple of weeks.

Side Note: I've found a couple interested friends to inflict AV:T on - one's an engineer and the other loves games with real science in them. How good is that?

Commentor-at-large

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:19 pm 

watch your battery levels. i've found that keeping them topped for the alpha strike off is proving to be more of a challenge with the 1.5 wasp. and the rafik doesn't have the port side battery array (read: bomb) that would make life interesting. but i do like the 8 ZDPBs. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:56 pm 

*growls angrily while he waits for the new 1.5 rules*

Grrr!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:44 pm 

all this talk of 1.5 rules...

might just have to go play SITS until they come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:25 pm 

*gets his new 1.5 rules*

*rubs them over his nekkid body*

Ahhhhh.

Life is good.

*worships the missile reliability tables*

Post subject: CG's at close range
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:03 pm 

I wonder if I'm getting this right.

From the feel of the descriptions it seems that Coilguns are supposed to mostly useful at long range, forcing the enemy to manouver like you want or to use a lot of energy in disabling your impactors.

It seem to me, though, that the CG's are truly devastating at close range. At close range you propably have some additional rate of closure from the vectors of the ships, and the target will only have a small window in which to shoot at the incoming impactors. Also the target will not have time to turn and burn, so you can propably group all your impactors into one shellstar region.

Am I getting this wrong. I haven't been able to play all winter, and so haven't really gotten to test this in practise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:18 pm 

You are correct - coilguns can be very bad news at short range. :)

Post subject: Do you guys get any use out of katjushas?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:26 pm 

What sort of a loadout does one use to get some effect from katjusha salvoes? I did some test gaming. At RoC 2,5 (2 from basic katjusha rockets, +0,5 from a closing vector) the katjusha shells deal just 4 points of damage. That could be useful on a side hit, but face on there's not much cause for worry.

How do you guys use the katjushas effectively?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:53 am 

I prefer to load the 2-pulse Katyushas, so I can get 5 salvos per launcher.

then I assume the Ktyushas will act to "pin" the enemy: their ship can either accept the hit head-on and take little to no damage, or turn to dodge, at which point I'll use a flex point to aim the Katyushas into the mast and engine, trying to cripple the ship.

Obviously, this requires some other threat be present to make the target pay dearly for keeping its nose facing into the Katyushas. :)

Post subject: Re: CG's at close range
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:00 am 

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
It seem to me, though, that the CG's are truly devastating at close range. At close range you propably have some additional rate of closure from the vectors of the ships, and the target will only have a small window in which to shoot at the incoming impactors. Also the target will not have time to turn and burn, so you can propably group all your impactors into one shellstar region.

This is totally correct, except for the additional rate of closure part - that will only happen if the ships continue thrusting towards each other. The biggest drawbacks are the decreased ability to pick them off and the decreased time available to turn.

When we did the Handellstelle battle at Gamestorm, my Wasp got caught pivoting a little too slow - I had one segment too little time to escape via thrust, and one segment to long to pivot enough for ZD to bear, so I took a full Katyusha salvo through the port side. Not fun. Good learning experience, though.

Commentor-at-large

Post subject: Stopping power of the katjusha
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:20 pm 

The two pulse katjusha rockets look great (need only six hexes of burn range to deploy), until one notices that the RoC 2 only gives them 3 damage per impactor.

Even three points (times x) can be unfortunate if it hit's you in an unarmoured section, of course, but it won't worry anybody coming at you head on.

Even at respectable closing speeds (with a combined RoC of 3) the damage will be just seven per impactor. A Wasp, for instance, won't have to even waste power on these things.

One could use four pulse katjushas for some serious impact, but then they are only useable at very long ranges due to the long burn.

Tricky...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 am 

As the game grows, I expect to see most Katys deployed on corvettes and gunboats (though I think the Russians / NR will use them across the fleet lists). Smaller ships can generate a good CV boost for the Katys all by themselves, and they often have the opportunity to close from off-axis.
-Kle.