Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 'Copycat' tactics and also SS pdf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:30 am 

Hi everyone, I haven't had AV:T on the table for a while so am a little rusty...

Anyway we are going to try the hypothetical Copycat scenario. Not sure which ship I am getting yet, anyone played this matchup? I have flown the Rafik several times so have a handle on that ship, but the Kennet is new to me. With the Kennet extra MRLS it looks like it has a clear advantage - I can't see the Rafik's coilguns being particularly effective...

Any suggestions for tactics for the Rafik?

Also I am very tempted to pick up the 2nd Ed Squadron Strike (I don't have the first Ed). I am in the UK so the game can be expensive. So I am thinking of getting the PDF bundle - as I have AV:T I have the tilt blocks - how easy would it be to play with the PDF? Is there anyway to get hold of the spreadsheet by purchasing the PDF? I would be interested in playing SS in mode 2 - how much quicker does it play than AV:T?

Sorry for the rambling post - tired from Christmas excess and just read the AV:T damage allocation rules twice - I need a coffee...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 'Copycat' tactics and also SS pdf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:14 pm 

David, the Rafik has two coilguns at four shells per volley, plus six missiles. That adds up to a significant capability, even without nukes ... The Kennet looks as though it can bounce those little 50kg shells, but if the RoC gets up a bit they start doing a lot of damage and are harder and harder to stop with ZDLS. Because the Kennet has no kinetic weapons, the Rafik doesn't have to worry about counter-strikes in this situation.

Keep in mind that the AP on the Kennet's lasers can be very useful, but only at very short range. Only use it when the modified range is still in the point-blank range column.

No, really.

Stop laughing.

Last edited by Ethan McKinney on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:30 am 

David Murray wrote:
Hi everyone, I haven't had AV:T on the table for a while so am a little rusty...

Anyway we are going to try the hypothetical Copycat scenario. Not sure which ship I am getting yet, anyone played this matchup? I have flown the Rafik several times so have a handle on that ship, but the Kennet is new to me. With the Kennet extra MRLS it looks like it has a clear advantage - I can't see the Rafik's coilguns being particularly effective...

Any suggestions for tactics for the Rafik?

Also I am very tempted to pick up the 2nd Ed Squadron Strike (I don't have the first Ed). I am in the UK so the game can be expensive. So I am thinking of getting the PDF bundle - as I have AV:T I have the tilt blocks - how easy would it be to play with the PDF? Is there anyway to get hold of the spreadsheet by purchasing the PDF? I would be interested in playing SS in mode 2 - how much quicker does it play than AV:T?

Sorry for the rambling post - tired from Christmas excess and just read the AV:T damage allocation rules twice - I need a coffee...

David, I post the beta builds of the spreadsheet (and the final versions) on my Patreon, which I think you're a subscriber for.

Postage and handling for an boxed game to the UK is $63. For an upgrade kit, it's $29. One of these days, I'll sic Ethan or Jon on getting the shopping cart to handshake with Stamps.com for international postage and it'll run it on the cart.

Upgrade kit and postage is $45+29 = $76 USD.

SS Mode 2 plays turns in 6-10 minutes once everyone knows what they're doing, it doesn't do AV:T style kinetics or phased movement. It does handle multiple ships per player better - 4 ships per player isn't an unreasonable player workload.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 am 

Thanks Ken.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:35 pm 

I updated the first reply in this topic with actual thoughts on tactics. ;)

No, really.

Stop laughing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:07 am 

Thanks Ethan, so a suggested tactic would have the Rafik taking a relative direct approach and approaching in a swarm of projectiles. To get a high ROC I should be looking to approach with some speed. I might solo it today to try it out.

For the Kennet I guess it just needs to ensure that the projectiles from the Rafik don't build up to be a problem...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:08 am 

For the Kennet, keep in mind that it can use up to four flex points in an impulse--once per turn. Against the Rafik's inadequate bridge, look for every opportunity to give yourself an advantage or to deny an advantage to the Rafik.

One tactic for the Rafik is to play the long game. Go for the Kennet's engine as much as you can. Blow through the pass, thrust for a turn or so, and reload the missiles and coilguns. If you've damaged the Kennet's engines enough, it won't be able to catch you while you reload and then it won't be able to evade the incoming projectiles. Be sure to fill the magazines! You may also want to spend points to improve your missile reliability.

Historically, the Medinans did not use hardened coilgun shells (they used hardening on missile submunitions). I suggest sticking with that. I also like a small alteration to the magazine rule--each magazine can carry enough missiles to reload one launcher (three Tri-missiles, for example) and enough CG shells to reload one launcher (eight salvos). This avoids absurd situations where a Wasp either has no reloads for its CGs or it carries more that it will use in its entire service life, but only one missile reload. Up to you.

No, really.

Stop laughing.