Password:  
Register 
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spiral engagement
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:56 pm 

How do I make one?
In order to kill a Wasp, a Rafik need to fire at it several times until itcan do nough damge to cripplle it, so how should I generate a spiral engagement?

Thanks

Iyar

Post subject: Re: Spiral engagement
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:36 pm 

Iyar Binyamin wrote:
How do I make one?
In order to kill a Wasp, a Rafik need to fire at it several times until itcan do nough damge to cripplle it, so how should I generate a spiral engagement?

Thanks

Iyar

From the one demo game I've fought in a Rafik, and from what I've read on the boards here, get your nose at least 90 degrees away from the Wasp, go to max thrust, and stay at max thrust until the engine is just about to overheat, then turn it off, wait two turns, and send it straight up to max thrust again. I'm told the really daring people will even play with letting the engine overheat... The Wasp is faster than you, but doesn't rotate as quickly, so it's good to make 90 degree turns every once in a while. Meanwhile, all the time you present one broadside, zap him with the laser there, roll to present the other broadside, zap, roll again, zap, roll, zap, roll, zap, roll.

I had expected to do rather poorly with the Rafik because it sounded a bit more difficult than it turned out to be. On the other hand, Dan hadn't really expected me to have read up on how to use a Rafik, so he didn't play as agressively as he might against a veteran, and we also started out with a pretty ideal situation for me, range 13 and completely still relative to each other. Which meant we were just about within range of my guns and I didn't have to worry about a high closing vector that could carry me within range of his... Also, we didn't fight with kinetics, so I don't really know how that would have affected things...