Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Ship XML
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 pm 

I was considering writing a little utility to roll Nuclear Explosion damage.

It occurs to me that full automation would require a good chunk of ship data. I'm sure I've read on the forums that some aspects of AV:T already uses XML and rather than reinventing the wheel and developing the data-structures from scratch, it seemed sensible to at least ask about it.

So, does a DTD file exist for AV:T and if so, would you be willling to share it? And just to be clear, I'm not asking for any _actual_ XML files, just the file structure definition file.

Just out of interest, does anyone else know if other space combat games have their own XMLs? Is there an industry standard out there somewhere? I can think of a lot of very cool things we could do if every ship from every game could be described by a common XML. 8)

Simon*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:31 pm 

Simon, ask me in a month and I may be able to get you the XML files.

There is no industry standard specification that I'm aware of - we did all of ours in house.

One of the things we'd like to integrate into the AV:T version of Gareth Perkins's program is an AV:T Damage Allocator. If you code VB and can handle that part of the project, please let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:45 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Simon, ask me in a month and I may be able to get you the XML files.

Many thanks! I'll do that.

Ken Burnside wrote:
There is no industry standard specification that I'm aware of - we did all of ours in house.
That's not entirely a surprise. However, I can only think it would be great free advertising for AV:T and all her scrummy sister products if you were the originators.

Ken Burnside wrote:
One of the things we'd like to integrate into the AV:T version of Gareth Perkins's program is an AV:T Damage Allocator. If you code VB and can handle that part of the project, please let us know
I'm afraid most of my expertise is in JAVA and C++. All the VB I've done has been on the back end of Excel, so I've no idea about stan alone apps - but I've never had any problems picking up new languages, so I could learn, but you may want more sooner than I could produce on that basis.

Also, my programming is rather sporadic (normally limited to school holidays - I really ought to be marking mechanics papers right now!). But last summer I did an Astromachia Ship Designer on Excel (which you can get from BGG) and an AV:T target tracker http://www.h3rne.dircon.co.uk/AVT/AVTTargetTracker.htm in JAVA which you probably saw when I did it - relevant here perhaps because it's an example of my first project in JAVA (I enjoy both learning new languages and writing gaming utilites enough to spend my holidays doing it.)

Anyway, if you're still looking for someone towards Easter, give me a shout - I may have a go just for fun, and wouldn't bother if someone else beat me to it, but I wouldn't want you to rely on me at this stage.

Simon*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:34 pm 

Simon Hunt wrote:
and an AV:T target tracker http://www.h3rne.dircon.co.uk/AVT/AVTTargetTracker.htm in JAVA which you probably saw when I did it - relevant here perhaps because it's an example of my first project in JAVA (I enjoy both learning new languages and writing gaming utilites enough to spend my holidays doing it.)

Simon*

I hadn't actually seen that - I know that's functionality that we would like to have in the AV Online project, which will be in JAVA. Hopefully the project coordinator for that will grab your source file for the bits that are useful.

I know that you and Gareth are both in the UK, so at least there isn't a horrid time zone difference. :) If Gareth hasn't made a bearing-shooter for his game yet, you've solved the problem and might be able to contribute to his VBA form project.

(While I'd prefer that all the coding be in Java, as I'm not at the point of being to pay for it, I can only express that as a wish, rather than make it a demand. On the other hand, Gareth is getting useful tools built in VB, and it's my understanding that once something's been coded in one language, it simplifies writing it for another language.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:58 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Hopefully the project coordinator for that will grab your source file for the bits that are useful.
I'm sure the code is a long way from industry standard, but I'd love to think I'd contributed in some small way. They are more than welcome to salvage anything useful, and I'll try to answer any questions they have as best I can.

Ken Burnside wrote:
I know that you and Gareth are both in the UK, so at least there isn't a horrid time zone difference. :) If Gareth hasn't made a bearing-shooter for his game yet, you've solved the problem and might be able to contribute to his VBA form project.
I've been following Gareth's excellent work on the SITS AVID with interest and admiration. Certainly there will only be essentially cosmetic differences in syntax for the actual maths. Again the source files are at the link, and he's very welcome to them.

Ken Burnside wrote:
(While I'd prefer that all the coding be in Java, as I'm not at the point of being to pay for it, I can only express that as a wish, rather than make it a demand. On the other hand, Gareth is getting useful tools built in VB, and it's my understanding that once something's been coded in one language, it simplifies writing it for another language.)
Java has the major advantage of platform independence, and the possibility (if we're careful about what features we use) of ports to PDAs (my Palm has a Java ME Virtual Machine). However, Swing is a royal pain in the arse, making fidelity to the hardcopy play aids tricky. Certainly Gareth seems to be making great progress with VB, so it seems sensible to be pursuing that right now.

Simon*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 pm 

Grabbing files.

Quite frankly, the "official" side of the project is essentially dead in the water, so "take what we can get" is becoming the procedure of the day. :? :D