Password:  
Register 
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Checking back in...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:51 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
...and I'm literally going to be printing 1.5 as SOON as I get the corrected SSDs generated.

For those of us who can print our own, is it possible to buy 1.5 in electronic format? That would be very cool and very convenient (for you, Ken, and for us.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:05 pm 

Jim Foster wrote:
Ken Burnside wrote:
...and I'm literally going to be printing 1.5 as SOON as I get the corrected SSDs generated.

For those of us who can print our own, is it possible to buy 1.5 in electronic format? That would be very cool and very convenient (for you, Ken, and for us.)

Jim: I will be selling the 1.5 SSDs as a PDF download, in addition to replacement rulebook sets. Estimated price is $5 per ship book.

Future AV:T shipbooks will have their downloads put up in the registered files area approximately 3-4 months after release, when they won't put a knife in distributor orders.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:17 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Jim: I will be selling the 1.5 SSDs as a PDF download, in addition to replacement rulebook sets. Estimated price is $5 per ship book.

Good to know. But, I was thinking of the 1.5 rulebook. Will that be available as PDF?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:35 pm 

Jim Foster wrote:
Ken Burnside wrote:

Good to know. But, I was thinking of the 1.5 rulebook. Will that be available as PDF?

That, I'm less sanguine about.

I will be putting up section A of that rulebook in the free downloads section.

What features of a PDF rulebook do you want that you would not have in the dead tree edition?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:46 am 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Jim Foster wrote:
Ken Burnside wrote:

Future AV:T shipbooks will have their downloads put up in the registered files area approximately 3-4 months after release, when they won't put a knife in distributor orders.

Outstanding! SSD's are a great thing to have PDFs of. As for the rules a wise person once told me you might as well not bother trying to sell anything you make available in electronic format. Most people will buy their own copy but enough will pirate it that it will seriously hurt business. This is especially true of something as small as your rules. It's a little harder to print a novel.

That said, do you have a "light" set of SITS rules? I'm thinking about running SITS at Dragon Con this year. I thought I had the teaching end down when I taught my girlfriend movement. She normally goes ballistic whenever I try to teach her anything, however, it went well. The next time I tried with someone else it took much longer. A light set I could hand out at a con would be helpful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:56 am 

Roger Books wrote:
That said, do you have a "light" set of SITS rules? I'm thinking about running SITS at Dragon Con this year. I thought I had the teaching end down when I taught my girlfriend movement. She normally goes ballistic whenever I try to teach her anything, however, it went well. The next time I tried with someone else it took much longer. A light set I could hand out at a con would be helpful.

I don't currently have a "light" set of rules, other than the 11 page tutorial.

What would you strip out of the tutorial to make it a "light" set of rules?

(I am seriously considering bundling the Wasp and Rafik SSDs and the first chapter of the AV:T 1.5 rulebook into one free download, along with a page with cardboard cutouts of tilt blocks, box minis, and PDFs of the play aid cards - one download, everything needed to play the tutorial other than a hex map and dice.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:21 am 

Ken Burnside wrote:
What features of a PDF rulebook do you want that you would not have in the dead tree edition?

1) Immediate access. Don't have to wait on shipping, etc.

2) Searchability. If properly set up, PDFs can have hot-links to cross references in the document, hot linked TOC and indices, etc. Even a 'dead' PDF can be text-searched, this is VERY handy when searching for a rule in the midst of combat.

3) Down side is lack of paper. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a high-volume printer, so it's a general, not a specific shortcoming.

I'm a fan of Guns!Guns!Guns! and EABA gaming system from BTRC (my vote for Ten Worlds RPG system, if it ever comes to that). BTRC publishes EVERYTHING primarily as 'rich' PDF, with paper available through print-on-demand vendors.

Greg Porter has been willing to share his experiences with PDF publishing; his business profile appears similar to yours in many ways.

Profile E-mail