Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Usernames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:11 pm 

I'm just presuming that you want to continue the tradition of real names as usernames? I'd traditionally use "tpope" but settled on my full name, since there seems to be no place in your profile (short of freeform fields like signature) to put in a full name.

I don't know if the admin has the ability to edit usernames after the fact, but I see that users themselves don't, short of making a new login. If the admin can make such a change, it would be easy (if a time consuming) to catch people after registration and changing their name. If the admin cannot change usernames, then perhaps a moderated registration process is in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:05 pm 

Hmm. I registered using my username from the old board, thinking that it would (somehow) display my real name...

Are avatars disabled? I tried to load one and got a bunch of error messages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:14 pm 

Quote:
Hmm. I registered using my username from the old board, thinking that it would (somehow) display my real name...

That was one feature of the old board that was rather handy, your username was displayed along with your full name.

On this board I experimented with a username with spaces (which doesn't often work) and it accepted it happily. I'd really prefer to be tpope only because it's pretty consistent among my usernames, but I can live with this.

Of course, I'll have to live with it, since I can't change it. :)

Post subject: Avatars
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:23 pm 

Quote:
Are avatars disabled? I tried to load one and got a bunch of error messages.

I don't belive they are disabled, but the permissions on the directory where they are uploaded seem to be set incorrectly. I had a similar problem on a forum that I maintain a while back, though I'm afraid I don't remember the exact permission code to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:30 pm 

OK, I finally got into this new "spacesuit" that was issued to me. :) My only hope is that I didn't put it on like the good doctor did in the Firefly episode they called "Bushwacked" (IIRC). :wink:

Image copyright © 2002 Thomas Schmid

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Full names are required, says Ken. I can make the change after registration.

Also, avatars should function now; it was indeed a permissions issue.

Finally, you can't get phpbb to provide a multi-level view; see:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 94#1150694

If we feel strongly, Chaim Krause says there's a third party mod we could install for it.

Ken Burnside
Chaim Krause
James Sterrett

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: HELP! account won't lwt me log in
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:55 pm 
I seem to be having problems logging in.

I registered as follows:

James "Sig" Bohren
sig@bohren.org
and put in a password

I received the e-mail which gave me a user name different from the name I entered, it was:
James \"Sig\" B

I attempted to log in, got the error, went to the e-mail, realized I hadn't activated my account, clicked on the link, went to the page that said my account was now active.

I tried to log in again with the info from the e-mail (Copy & Paste), received the error saying "You have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password."

So I tried it again, this time typing in my password, same result.

I tried a number of combinations including using my full name as I entered it and my user ID as it was displayed on the bottom of the screen as the latest one to register.

Nothing worked, so I tried the I forgot my password button and entered my user ID (from e-mail) and e-mail address, and was told they didn't match. Tried various combination of my User ID, all with the same results.

So, I tried reregistering and couldn't because my e-mail address is already in use by another user (presumably my first registration attempt).

I am out of ideals. apparently I did something wrong somewhere, but am not sure what.

If I simply locked my account with to many bad tried, please unlock it and I will try again.

Thanks

Sig

Post subject: Re: HELP! account won't lwt me log in
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:20 pm 

James \"Sig\" B wrote:
I seem to be having problems logging in.

I registered as follows:

James "Sig" Bohren
sig@bohren.org
and put in a password

I attempted to log in, got the error, went to the e-mail, realized I hadn't activated my account, clicked on the link, went to the page that said my account was now active.

I tried to log in again with the info from the e-mail (Copy & Paste), received the error saying "You have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password."

So I tried it again, this time typing in my password, same result.

I tried a number of combinations including using my full name as I entered it and my user ID as it was displayed on the bottom of the screen as the latest one to register.

Nothing worked, so I tried the I forgot my password button and entered my user ID (from e-mail) and e-mail address, and was told they didn't match. Tried various combination of my User ID, all with the same results.

So, I tried reregistering and couldn't because my e-mail address is already in use by another user (presumably my first registration attempt).

If I simply locked my account with to many bad tried, please unlock it and I will try again.

Thanks

Sig

James, I seem to have had similar problems in logging on as well. I waited a bit, and tried again, and it's worked ever since. I hope you get it worked out.

Image copyright © 2002 Thomas Schmid

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:16 am 

It may be a result of the quote marks; I'll talk to Chaim about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:53 am 

Quote:
Full names are required, says Ken. I can make the change after registration.

If not already done, you may want to turn off guest posting, and change the standard boilerplace registration agreement to say something about full names being required. That should save some retrofitting work for the admins.

Actually, if you can get to the code for the registration page itself, I'd make a note right above the username field that full names are required, spaces will work, but quotation marks (apparently) will not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:32 am 

Indeed it was the quote marks.

Both suggestions are good ones, Tom; the agreemtn text has been changed, I'll set the forums to registered-posting only this evening, and I'll talk to Chaim about getting some text right above the username field.