Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Woot.com as Fundraiser for Ken's Medical Bills.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:55 am 

As some of you are aware, my health (and finances) took a nasty hit in 2011.

A friend of mine came to me with an idea - she's a graphic artist, I write snarky and fun tee shirts.

If I come up with the fun snarky tee shirts for Woot.com, she'll draw them, and we do a weighted split on the proceeds based on the time it takes her to draw them.

So - if you buy shirts from woot.com, please go there and vote for that shirt - the top three vote-getters in each week's contest get $1,000. If you don't buy shirts from woot - you have to have bought at least 1 to vote - consider buying one as a gift, just to get to vote.

If you like the shirt enough to actually want it for wearing, and it makes it into the top 1,000, the artist and I split the individual sales money 50/50.

Here's our first entry (click on the image to go to the voting page)

We will be trying to do an entry each week.

Voting closes on Wednesday each week.

Post subject: Re: Woot.com as Fundraiser for Ken's Medical Bills.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 pm 

Got my vote! Apparently woot.com translates "Huh, into "Hyuk, O.o' Be warned! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 pm 

Here's this week's entry, on the theme of New Landmarks.

This is a landmark that's an homage to Robert Heinlein, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction.

A monument to the Retro Future!

Notes:

Yes, the man and the woman riding the rocket are Robert and Virginia Heinlein, taken from publicity photos they had done in the early 1950s.
Yes, the rocket is based off of Putnam and Son's Heinlein juveniles
The skyline in the back is Kansas City, MO, though it's hard to tell - Heinlein's home town.

Voting

Only users who have made at least one purchase at any Woot site may vote in the Derby. If that’s you, just click “I’d Want One” next to any designs that catch your fancy. You can vote for as many different designs as you like, but only once per design. If you don’t see the “I’d Want One” buttons next to the designs, you’re either not logged in, or you’ve never bought anything from Woot. Go log in and/or buy something if you want to vote.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:11 pm 

Nice! (Voted)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:26 am 

Here's this week's entry, on the theme of Halloween.

This was an attempt at making something that's more wearable artwork, and styled after the illustrations in certain children's books, rather than doing funny cartoon animals, or hitting an obscure in-joke.

The Three Faces of Autumn. (We did one last week, but it was clear we missed the winning vibe early on - so it wasn't something we promoted heavily.)

We tried some techniques here with implied motion and leading the eye from the moon to the clouds to the tree to the owl in the tree.

For the second design, we went with a more painter-ly style. It's also an oblique Harry Potter reference - we all know that the wizardlings at Hogwarts do this with their owls... :)

Voting

Only users who have made at least one purchase at any Woot site may vote in the Derby. If that’s you, just click “I’d Want One” next to any designs that catch your fancy. You can vote for as many different designs as you like, but only once per design. If you don’t see the “I’d Want One” buttons next to the designs, you’re either not logged in, or you’ve never bought anything from Woot. Go log in and/or buy something if you want to vote.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:20 pm 

Awesome! (voted for both)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 pm 

My friend who helped with these shirts got a shirt up on Woot - we split the proceeds.

We also realized that while we might not sell as many shirts as Woot does, we can make considerably more handling printing and shipping ourselves.

So to help with this, we're doing an IndieGoGo fund-raiser to try and start up a small business printing geeky tee shirts.

Here's the basic pitch - we're about to order the tee shirts (We both know we can sell our minimum order out at conventions over time).

However, if you'd like to help with my medical issues (some of which are still being fixed), please do follow the link below - and have fun.

And if you've never heard my speaking voice, this might scare you away from the summer cons altogether...

http://www.indiegogo.com/Reagency-Shirt-Launch?a=379454

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:

So, it looks you set this up on IndieGoGo a month or so ago, but only manged to tell us about it now, with 3 days left? How in the heck are we supposed to get you to your goal and get the word out effectively in that sort of time-frame?

Sorry to hear your still having issues, and I'd love to help, but I'm between employments at the moment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 pm 

Bob Slaughter wrote:
Ken Burnside wrote:

So, it looks you set this up on IndieGoGo a month or so ago, but only manged to tell us about it now, with 3 days left? How in the heck are we supposed to get you to your goal and get the word out effectively in that sort of time-frame?

Sorry to hear your still having issues, and I'd love to help, but I'm between employments at the moment.

The issues are being dealt with; I had several large projects that kept me from focusing hard on this one. I have the cash on hand to help the printing of these shirts, though I'd be happier if the pre-orders covered the bills. We're both reasonably certain we can make these sell at cons.

Plus, I wanted to tap the Ad Astra Games well -last- for a couple of personal reasons. I don't really LIKE coming to you guys asking for money for my health issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:35 am 

Ken Burnside wrote:
The issues are being dealt with

Yay!

Quote:
I had several large projects that kept me from focusing hard on this one. I have the cash on hand to help the printing of these shirts, though I'd be happier if the pre-orders covered the bills. We're both reasonably certain we can make these sell at cons.

Then why the IndieGoGo if you weren't able to push this out to your social media contacts? IGG and Kickstarter successes come from the "tell two friends, who tell two friends ..." effect.

Quote:
Plus, I wanted to tap the Ad Astra Games well -last- for a couple of personal reasons. I don't really LIKE coming to you guys asking for money for my health issues.

That I can understand. But your asking us money for stuff -- that's technically different. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 am 

Bob Slaughter wrote:

Quote:
I had several large projects that kept me from focusing hard on this one. I have the cash on hand to help the printing of these shirts, though I'd be happier if the pre-orders covered the bills. We're both reasonably certain we can make these sell at cons.

Then why the IndieGoGo if you weren't able to push this out to your social media contacts? IGG and Kickstarter successes come from the "tell two friends, who tell two friends ..." effect.

In part because my friend and I vastly understimated the amount of time feeding this on social media would take. The goal of this IGG launch was to cover the costs of doing the shirts - which would be made anyway - and to buy the materials I'd need to set up a packing table, and file the incorporation paperwork. And to see how this worked and see what we'd need to do for the next pair of designs.

Quote:
Quote:

That I can understand. But your asking us money for stuff -- that's technically different. :wink:

Heh. Today, we're going to add $3 contributions with wallpapers of each design. One of them will be scaled for the iPad and iPhone... :)

Wish we'd had that idea earlier on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:49 pm 

A new shirt design.

SEMPER FIDO
This is a respectful homage to the loyalty and tenacity of the US Marine Corps. It's based on the photo of the flag raising at Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima, by Joe Rosenthal taken in 1945.
All the dog breeds shown were used by the US military in World War II, or have special meaning to branches of the US military; the lead bulldog is based off the Marine Corps mascot.
Vote for this so you can wear it on Memorial Day, or send to a Marine you know serving overseas.

You have to have purchased something from woot.com to vote. Please do share this link around; so far everything else is Frolicking Cute Animals On The Titanic/Moon/Crossing The Delaware.

Again, if we win, my share of the money goes to pay down some of the medical bills I racked up last summer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:39 pm 

We are officially In The Fog - which means we're somewhere in the top 9. (We're actually reasonably sure we're in the top 8, because two shirts that aren't ours keep swapping in and out of the Fog).

Please, please, please, take the time to vote for this shirt, or to pass this link around on Google+ and Facebook.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:19 pm 

Still in the Fog, and I've gotten a lot of folks saying they shared that link around. Much appreciated, and please keep it up!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:48 pm 

For those who don't know, Woot.com runs tee shirt derbies. They put up a theme, and graphic designers enter shirt designs. The top 9 vote getters get put into The Fog - so people won't try to jigger vote totals at the end. The top 3 vote getters get printed. The designer gets $1,000 and $2 per shirt sold from the SECOND DAY ONWARD. (Buying the shirt on the first day doesn't put any more money in the designer's hands.)

To vote for a shirt, you have to have bought something at Woot.com. If you see a "I WANT ONE" link over the entries, you get to vote for it.

My artist friend and I plan on donating 10% of the $2 per shirt we get for second-day-and-later sales to www.uswardogs.org, which provides veterinary care for injured service dogs, and helps with adopting out US service dogs after their military careers are over. You can help.

BEFORE WEDNESDAY, 11 APRIL 2012: If you can vote for the design at http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=62142, please do so, and do so with our thanks.

If you can pass along this message to forums where veterans read and congregate, please do so, and do so with our thanks - this message includes "how to become eligible to vote."

AFTER WEDNESDAY, 11 APRIL 2012: If we win, and the shirt prints, we'll promote the news to Mike Williamson, along with the purchase URL. We'll also do it through my Facebook and Google+ pages. If you like the shirt, please do buy it. If you can afford the difference between $12 and $15, please WAIT ONE DAY and buy it - we make a little more money on the sale, and part of your purchase price will go to www.uswardogs.org.