Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Which is right for my group?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:54 pm 

Hi Ken,

I have been interested in your 3D space games for sometime. I stumbled across your website a few years ago whilst looking for a way to game the Honorverse.
Unfortunately, the price had always put me off buying a product that I have never seen. Not your list price, which I do understand reflects all of the components needed to play the game, and is well in line with other boardgames that have bought.
No, it is the shipping cost that I baulk at! As I live in the UK, the shipping fee is almost the same price as the game!
I have tried to find a retailer in the UK or even Europe, without any luck. If you know of one, I would appreciate your telling me.
However, as luck would have it, I will be in New York for a few days in March, and I am hoping if it would be possible to have one of your games
delivered to my hotel there, for me to bring back myself?
If this is possible, it brings up my main question, which is; which of your games is right for my group and me?
From what I have read, AV:T is the best 3D experience, whilst SITS is the better Honorverse simulator, and then again Squadron Strike is better for fleet actions, and is more amenable to play in different universes.
My group are used to playing Full Thrust, and occasionally Battlefleet
Gothic, so we have several fleets of already, so I am leaning toward SS, but I do love Honor, and again it is the 3D aspect of your games that is likely to wean my group off of Full Thrust!!!!
Dilemmas, dilemmas!
Any input from you would be very helpful, as would a response about my delivery question.
Help!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Which is right for my group?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm 

Mark, contact The Compleat Strategist in New York and see what they have in stock. http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/ They're perhaps the best game store in the country. If they don't have it in stock, they can probably order it for you if it's not possible for Ken to ship directly to your hotel. (You'll probably need to contact the hotel about accepting deliveries for you that might arrive before you do.)

Although, if you already have miniatures that you want to use, you need to order magnetic adapters and flight stands. Both can be used with any game and make the miniatures much more flexible.

If you already have a bunch of ship minis that you want to use, SqSt is your best bet. Be warned that ship construction is not simple (and would be impossible without the spreadsheet). Attacks can also be extremely dice-heavy if you're not willing to use the statistical resolution mechanism for huge attacks.

No, really.

Stop laughing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:09 pm 

Hi Ethan,
Thanks for the input, I had thought of contacting the hotel, if Ken was willing to do it, but, in these days of heighten security consciousness, I think going through a shop would probably be best. Plus, it will give me something to do while the wife is in Bloomingdales :D.

Also, thanks for the tip about the connectors too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 pm 

We have shipped to hotels in the past. However, do you have a friend in New York that you trust? We can ship the game, and the flight base/adapter package to them and you can pick it up there.

If push comes to shove, I can also call the Compleat Strategist and work out a deal.

Please email me at design@adastragames.com

If your group likes building ships and likes playing mix-and-match with universes, SS is the way to go. Honorverse space combat is much more limited because of David's worldbuilding choices.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 pm 

Hi Ken,
I did mail you at the address listed, a few days ago, but I have not heard from you as of yet.
Did you get my mail, is everything ok?

Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:23 pm 

Mark Haynes wrote:
Hi Ken,
I did mail you at the address listed, a few days ago, but I have not heard from you as of yet.
Did you get my mail, is everything ok?

Mark

Yep - I'm working out how to set this up is all. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm 

Thanks Ken,

Sorry to be a pain!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 pm 

Mark Haynes wrote:
Thanks Ken,

Sorry to be a pain!

Not a problem - we're also talking to some retailers in the UK about getting some regular stock levels.