Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Ship Symbols question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:47 pm 

OK, a simple-ish question.

Is there a readily available font or image set that uses the symbols for ship orientation? If there is, I'd like to know about it, so I can save a bit of time per segment. If it is available, I can print up a transparency sheet with the symbols on it, cut them up into little chips to scoot around the AVID.

Mostly I'm asking this out of laziness, as I don't want to take the time to scan them in from the ship book or rules book.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:25 am 

I don't know for sure, but doubt that you're going to find a single font that has all of the symbols in it. At least not in the easily available ones. But is not a big deal because there are several standard font sets that you can grab from and combine, with maybe just a little touch-up work.

Port and Starboard are easy, being the standard < and > symbols available in most any font. Just choose a pair you like.

Top and Bow you should be able to get from the Wingdings group. There are lots of stars and triangles to pick from.

Stern and Bottom are the tricky ones. Symbol has an open half-circle that you could draw a line to close and make work for Stern. And the Wingdings sets have several downward pointing arrows that could be made to sort of look like an anchor for Bottom, if you drew a line at the top for the cross-bar. Or they might even have an anchor I'm just not finding now. Or maybe Webdings does.

If you really want to be lazy, Wingdings even has some nice circles you could print out to put over the top of the other symbols for when your tilting the ship.

And thank you for the idea. When I get my set of SITS I will probably do this too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:17 am 

Luke Vaughn wrote:
I don't know for sure, but doubt that you're going to find a single font that has all of the symbols in it. At least not in the easily available ones. But is not a big deal because there are several standard font sets that you can grab from and combine, with maybe just a little touch-up work.

Port and Starboard are easy, being the standard < and > symbols available in most any font. Just choose a pair you like.

Top and Bow you should be able to get from the Wingdings group. There are lots of stars and triangles to pick from.

Stern and Bottom are the tricky ones. Symbol has an open half-circle that you could draw a line to close and make work for Stern. And the Wingdings sets have several downward pointing arrows that could be made to sort of look like an anchor for Bottom, if you drew a line at the top for the cross-bar. Or they might even have an anchor I'm just not finding now. Or maybe Webdings does.

If you really want to be lazy, Wingdings even has some nice circles you could print out to put over the top of the other symbols for when your tilting the ship.

And thank you for the idea. When I get my set of SITS I will probably do this too.

Or, since I have all of them in Illustrator format, you could tell me what format you want them in, at what size and DPI, and I could make up a set as a PDF. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:34 am 

I have a related request: Is it possible you could make a modified version of the Shellstar page in the downloads section? Specifically, what I'm thinking of is keeping the arms of the shellstar and eliminating the rest of it, and putting a solid-line box around the shellstar arms (i.e. the same size as the current shellstar card, just with no info or graphic elements except for the shellstar arms).

The reason why I'm asking for this is that it would be perfect to print on transparency and then cut out into individual cards - then use them as overlays to place over the targetting AVID to get the UP/DN/Left/Right directions when filling out the shellstar.

Commentor-at-large

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:36 am 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Or, since I have all of them in Illustrator format, you could tell me what format you want them in, at what size and DPI, and I could make up a set as a PDF. :)

Ooh.... How 'bout a nice 8.5x11 300dpi sheet with the symbols no bigger than .5 in sq.... this will fit them in all the AVID boxes... And if you have the copious spare time to put one set in circles....

Rapture... Joy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:20 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:

But wouldn't that almost be like cheating? ;) And where would the fun in that be?

Seriously, I wouldn't complain no matter what size you did them in, if you actually had the time to do something like that.

Profile E-mail