Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: This is pretty cool
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:58 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4sIU3 ... r_embedded

I would so love to see one of these built for any of my games...anyone know how they were done?

Post subject: Re: This is pretty cool
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:41 am 

You mean how the video was produced? It looks like just a standard time-lapse setup. You can see the image timestamps at the bottom of the video. They set up a camera to take a picture automatically every 5 seconds, then played the photos back at about 10 fps for a 50x time acceleration. The only trick is not bumping the camera during the game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am 

I was surprised to see, during a rulebook consultation, the cover that clearly said "Commander's Rulebook". That's serious old-school gaming (or just a bit of nostalgia, more likely).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:06 pm 

So I'm not really familiar with Star Fleet Battles. I'm led to understand that the rules were published sort of piecemeal? That giant white binder is, then, the collected rulebook? Seems considerably more substantial than any rulebook I've ever encountered before.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 pm 

Paul Zagieboylo wrote:
So I'm not really familiar with Star Fleet Battles. I'm led to understand that the rules were published sort of piecemeal? That giant white binder is, then, the collected rulebook? Seems considerably more substantial than any rulebook I've ever encountered before.

Star Fleet Battles and Advanced Squad Leader, for a time, competed for "greatest page count in a rules set for a tabletop wargame." ASL dropped out of the running in the mid '90s, when they came out with a new edition designed to be more accessible.

The rulebook you saw there was the Commander's Edition rulebook, which became obsolete in 1990.

The SFB master rulebook is 428 pages. It contains NOTHING but the rules to play the game, printed in two column, 9 point Helvetica font. With very little artwork. It does not have scenarios, campaign rules, or unit descriptions. It also only has the rules for the "main line" setting.

The Master Annex File (module G3) is all of the stuff that is quick reference materials, sequence of play displays, etc, and is 164 pages at the moment. It's analogous to section Z in the AV:T rulebook. You really need both of those to play, though you don't use all the rules in every game. Also, in 9 point Helvetica, two columns.

The Master Ship Book (with all class histories for all units) is a perennial "We know it would sell..." project that founders on the fact that it would be another ~900 pages, and while it would sell, it won't sell enough to justify the time needed to do it right.

The Omega Sector Master Rulebook and Annexes is another 234 page book and has the rules for the alternate setting that came out when they got locked into the boundaries of their existing rules by the related Federation & Empire game. It also has the annexes.

The Magellanic Cloud module (which I wrote), would add another 12 pages of annexes, and another 52 pages fo rules.

If you strung them all together, you get somewhere around 428+202+52 = 682 pages of rules, plus 32+12+164=208 pages of annexes.

Each of those pages averages about 1300 words per page. One page of the AVT rulebook with no art or illustration, and a full sidebar, gets 630 words in the main column, and about 140 words for a full length sidebar. If you converted it to AV:T rulebook layout, it would be 1146 pages for the full rulebook, and another 354 for the Annexes.

All that said, I use a LOT more illustrations than SFB does...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:43 am 

Ken Burnside wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4sIU3889s&feature=player_embedded

I would so love to see one of these built for any of my games...anyone know how they were done?

Assuming you were talking about the table. I printed one of the frames and took it to a local wood worker. His assumption was oak veneer plywood top with a frame of oak wood, which could be put on a 8’ table from anywhere. Sand the whole thing down and finish it with something to take the abuse.

If you meant the play surface. It looks like a 34x55 area to me. Go to one of the Free Online Graph Paper / Hexagonal, generate a pdf of the appropriate specifications, take the thumb drive to FedEx/Kinko’s and have them print it and laminate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 am 

My apologies - I meant the stop-motion video of a game in play. :)