Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Ordering from a vendor - How to determine game version?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:28 pm 

I'm in negotiation with a vendor to purchase a copy of AV:T he has in stock. He says he received this copy around July 12, 2006, but he sees no indication on the box of the game's version. I'm loath to purchase anything but the latest version, which I understand to be 1.5.

Can you provide any means to help identify which version a given box contains? Does the July delivery date provide any positive indication? Please advise.

Post subject: Re: Ordering from a vendor - How to determine game version?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:53 pm 

Steven Harris wrote:
I'm in negotiation with a vendor to purchase a copy of AV:T he has in stock. He says he received this copy around July 12, 2006, but he sees no indication on the box of the game's version. I'm loath to purchase anything but the latest version, which I understand to be 1.5.

Can you provide any means to help identify which version a given box contains? Does the July delivery date provide any positive indication? Please advise.

All copies that have gone through the distribution chain since 1 Feb 2006 are 1.5 edition. If he got it from Alliance or Blackhawk or ACD, odds are it's 1.5.

Can you give me the contact info for the store, I'm willing to talk to them and send them a duplicate set of rulebooks just to be sure you get the game you want.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:58 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
All copies that have gone through the distribution chain since 1 Feb 2006 are 1.5 edition.
Then it sounds like it's the right version.

Ken Burnside wrote:
Can you give me the contact info for the store, I'm willing to talk to them and send them a duplicate set of rulebooks just to be sure you get the game you want.
Sure. The company is FRP Games. I've been corresponding with a person named "Shaw", reachable at shaw@frpgames.com, or perhaps by phone.

I appreciate you getting involved. Please let me know if you're able to set the record straight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:24 pm 

Steven Harris wrote:
Ken Burnside wrote:
All copies that have gone through the distribution chain since 1 Feb 2006 are 1.5 edition.
Then it sounds like it's the right version.

Ken Burnside wrote:
Sure. The company is FRP Games. I've been corresponding with a person named "Shaw", reachable at shaw@frpgames.com, or perhaps by phone.

I appreciate you getting involved. Please let me know if you're able to set the record straight.

Steven, I've called them. I had presumed your vendor was a brick and mortar store, and was more than willing to offer support to them in return for them inviting you in to run demos of the game in their locale.

They're an online discounter - I can't stop them from selling my games at a discount; I get the same money from a distributor sale to them as to a brick and mortar store.

I have a favor to ask - I know you're buying from them solely on price, else you'd probably be buying from me. I believe quite strongly in supporting the brick and mortar FLGS, though.

I will do what I can to get them updated rulebooks if they're needed; I'm going to ask that YOU find a game store local to you and run demos of AV:T, posting the demo times here on the BBS so we can help promote them. I know there are several in the San Diego area.

Basically, games on shelves have the opportunity to get the "random buy in"; games that are actively played in stores are higher visibility. I NEED that visibility to move products.

Commodity merchants aren't good for the long term health of the hobby, since they completely eliminate the benefit I get, as a publisher, from having that game on a shelf. (Whether or not the FLGS model can survive is a debate for another day.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:08 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
I had presumed your vendor was a brick and mortar store [...] They're an online discounter.
Sorry, I really couldn't tell the difference from their Web site.

Ken Burnside wrote:
I know you're buying from them solely on price, else you'd probably be buying from me.
Actually, it's more complicated than that. I got involved with them trying to purchase a different game, which it then turned out they didn't have in stock. I turned around and ordered that one from the manufacturer directly because I didn't feel like waiting a few weeks for this vendor to restock. That left me with some "store credit" that, as an act of good faith, I figured I'd try to spend with them on something else that they did have in stock. The next product I inquired about was AV:T.

Ken Burnside wrote:
I will do what I can to get them updated rulebooks if they're needed; I'm going to ask that YOU find a game store local to you and run demos of AV:T, posting the demo times here on the BBS so we can help promote them. I know there are several in the San Diego area.
I've inquired with both Game Empire and Game Towne. The former just shook their heads "no"; Game Towne said that they could order the game, but they don't stock it regularly, nor could they get me in touch with any players. Really, I did try down that route first, and I didn't get the impression that either of these stores wanted to get involved in either selling or fostering play of the game.

Ken Burnside wrote:
Commodity merchants aren't good for the long term health of the hobby, since they completely eliminate the benefit I get, as a publisher, from having that game on a shelf.
I understand. On the other hand, here they're accommodating some of the "long tail" market. If none of my local stores stock the game, I'm lucky to be able to buy it some how, some way.

Ken Burnside wrote:
(Whether or not the FLGS model can survive is a debate for another day.)
From what I've seen around here, it's Warhammer, Warmachine, and a few other miniatures-based games keeping these stores alive. The world of Boardgame Geek is definitely not the world of my local market. Were that it were so.

I'll see if FRP Games gets back to me soon. If not, I'll pursue getting a refund from them and take up ordering directly through Ad Astra. Do you concur that that's a better course of action?