Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: aerospace engineering breakthroughs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:58 pm 

Hi guys.

This is not an AV:T related subject per se except for the fact that AV is about spaceships and in aerospace there is "space", but I figured that this is the best place to ask for an advice so here is goes.

I got a paper to submit in my "introduction to aerospace engineering" about major breakthroughs in the field, now I really don't want to write a paper (a small one) on obvious stuff like the introduction of jet engines or the space shuttle and sputnik.
At first i thought about scramjets but i'm not sure if it's an actuall breakthrough in the field or just the logical next step from normal jet propulsion.

So if you guys got any ideas about cool breakthroughs in the field ( i got a friend that writes about wind tunnels she got it from a guy she parachut with) please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Iyar

Post subject: Re: aerospace engineering breakthroughs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:28 pm 

Iyar Binyamin wrote:
Hi guys.

. . .

I got a paper to submit in my "introduction to aerospace engineering" about major breakthroughs in the field, now I really don't want to write a paper (a small one) on obvious stuff like the introduction of jet engines or the space shuttle and sputnik.
. . .

Thanks in advance.

Iyar

This is an amazingly tall order. You want someone to identify an advance that represented a major breakthrough, yet is not terribly obvious. However, you are in luck, as thereis just such an advance.

While it turns out that all you need to take an airplane through the sound barrier is a poweful enough engine, you need something else to control such an aircraft in flight-- the all-flying tailplane (?) [I am not sure of the name, but it is the tailplane where the hole surface is the elevator]

Chuck Yeager credits it as THE piece of advanced aerospace technology that that allowed him to maintain the Bell X-1 in controlled flight and there are very few tailed aircraft with mach 2+ pretensions that do not use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:28 pm 

If you only have to write about one breakthrough (as opposed to, say, a timeline of breakthroughs), the area rule is my candidate.

No, really.

Stop laughing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:55 pm 

Thanks guys, i'll look into those, the area rule seems like agood choice.
Richard if you could just point me to the right direction because I'm not really sure to what you are reffering.

Iyar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:13 am 

I think they call the tailplanes 'tailerons', but I could be wrong.
-Kle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:27 am 

Klebert L. Hall wrote:
I think they call the tailplanes 'tailerons', but I could be wrong.
-Kle.

I am pretty sure they are called stabilators, since it's really an over sized elevator combined with the horizontal stabilizer.

As a side note, other interesting combinations include flaperons where they combine the ailerons with the flaps and elevons where they combine the elevator with the ailerons as on the Space Shuttle. There are probably more that I've forgotten.

Profile E-mail