Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Extrasolar Planets (Real Ones) on the Ten Worlds Map
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:12 pm 

Does anyone know how many of the extrasolar planets discovered in the last few years fall within the "known space" of the the Ten Worlds? Say, inside the cubic volume of the 3-D map in the middle of the setting book?

No, really.

Stop laughing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:35 am 

I'll check but I do not think that many do.

And keep in mind that almost all of the discovered planets are huge monsters that make Jupiter look like a pea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:10 am 

Oh, sure. But even immense gas giants that show up in the scope of the setting are interesting.

No, really.

Stop laughing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:01 pm 

Are all the systems on the Ten Worlds map actual systems in the real world?

As much as I love the idea of the map in the box set, that thing is a nightmare to try and make any sense of, it's just real ugly compared to the wonderful Project Rho material, (which I plan on buying some of once I get the time to sit down and pick what I want.)

The PDF file in the downloads section is also not particularly pleasant to view but heck, it's a start. I guess I'm just a sucker for maps, and I've been spoiled by other things I have seen.

as to the original post, how many ewok moons CAN you fit in one of those extrasolar systems? (heh)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm 

Ronald Stepp wrote:
Are all the systems on the Ten Worlds map actual systems in the real world?

Yes.

The planets, of course, are fictional

Ronald Stepp wrote:
As much as I love the idea of the map in the box set, that thing is a nightmare to try and make any sense of, it's just real ugly compared to the wonderful Project Rho material, (which I plan on buying some of once I get the time to sit down and pick what I want.)

I assume that you dislike the subway map, not the 3-D perspective view. Of course, the perspective view suffered from some color choices that caused some of the hyper routes to disappear, and it doesn't include all of the stars in the volume.

In any case, Winchell Chung did the perspective view.

Ronald Stepp wrote:
The PDF file in the downloads section is also not particularly pleasant to view but heck, it's a start. I guess I'm just a sucker for maps, and I've been spoiled by other things I have seen.

Hmmm. Perhaps you do dislike the the perspective view. Keep in mind that, for our purposes, it's more important to show the hyper routes than simple stellar positions.

No, really.

Stop laughing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:07 pm 

Yeah, the subway map is particularly egregious..

I guess it all boils down to presentation... Ten Worlds doesn't particularly spark my imagination like say, Revelation Space (which didn't even have a map), or the Starfire series where they had a minimal stellar junction map, but those still stick in my mind better than Ten Worlds... I have to say after the stunning work Winchell Chung has done, it seems like the Ten Worlds stuff was slapped together on a notepad with something like Rhino3d in 15 or 20 minutes.

The 10-worlds setting can be mind blowing with all the talent you guys have access to and it is disappointing whenever I see what has been made so far.

Don't misunderstand, I have a real and growing affection for the AV:T system, just the backstory for the RPG'ers is a tad lacking. (sniff) Just some constructive criticisms from my 2cent vault.

Have a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:41 pm 

Ronald Stepp wrote:
Yeah, the subway map is particularly egregious..

I guess it all boils down to presentation... Ten Worlds doesn't particularly spark my imagination like say, Revelation Space (which didn't even have a map), or the Starfire series where they had a minimal stellar junction map, but those still stick in my mind better than Ten Worlds... I have to say after the stunning work Winchell Chung has done, it seems like the Ten Worlds stuff was slapped together on a notepad with something like Rhino3d in 15 or 20 minutes.

The 10-worlds setting can be mind blowing with all the talent you guys have access to and it is disappointing whenever I see what has been made so far.

Don't misunderstand, I have a real and growing affection for the AV:T system, just the backstory for the RPG'ers is a tad lacking. (sniff) Just some constructive criticisms from my 2cent vault.

Have a good one.

We used to have (and maybe still do have) a VRML map of the Ten Worlds setting. And if you read Nexus Journal #1, and other material we have queued up to go with new product releases, you'll see more of what's there.

I will note that because of the hard science requirements, there are some things that make RPG stuff hard to do. Like fast transit between planets - the "Traveller Free Trader" campaign (where you land on a planet, trade trinkets with natives, discover an alien artifact to smuggle off world and continue onwards...) is pretty near impossible.

There are things that will take its place, we hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:00 am 

Way back I picked up a game called Universe "The Role Playing Game of the Future", and even today, years and years later, the opening story sticks in my head. If I could compare the backstory setting in AV:T with anything that had a certain "hard exploration" flavor, that would be it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 am 

Ronald Stepp wrote:

As others have pointed out, I find this amusing since I did both sets of maps. ;)

However, for the Subway map, I made the original arrangement, but somebody else chose the colors, shapes, etc.

The 3/4 perspective map was meant to have more emphasis on being a dramatic bit of eye-candy at the expense of being usable.

If you could change these maps, what changes would you do to improve their appearance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:37 pm 

My black and white Setting Book version of the subway map is fairly painful to use.

With the exception of epsilon, the jump paths are very hard to decipher. Deltas get ugly when they are all on top of each other and the squiggle frequency is different from one line to another. The betas are very hard to see at all. There are some spots that may be alpha or may be gamma, it's hard to tell.

Jump paths might be cleaner with just thin lines interrupted in the middle by the appropriate symbol. Most of the lines would be straight but there couls be a few jogs to help avoid crossovers.

Spectral classes are almost impossible to see except for class A.

Jarrod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:51 am 

Weird. I love both of those maps.
But then, I thought it was obvious that the stars were real, and in the neighborhood of Sol.

Jarrod Lemire wrote:
My black and white Setting Book version of the subway map is fairly painful to use.

With the exception of epsilon, the jump paths are very hard to decipher. Deltas get ugly when they are all on top of each other and the squiggle frequency is different from one line to another. The betas are very hard to see at all. There are some spots that may be alpha or may be gamma, it's hard to tell.

Maybe there are print quality problems in some books? They're all really clear on mine.

At a quick glance, there are only 2 Beta routes (NN3379 - BD03*1123 [lower left center] & GJ1002 - Luyten 722-22 [just 'north' of Altiplano, center right page]) and one Alpha route (61 Ursae Majoris - BD+36*2219 [top left center]) on the map. They're pretty much moot anyway, since I know of no ships with Alpha or Beta Drives.

The 'sausage links' really look like thick black lines on your print?

Quote:
Jump paths might be cleaner with just thin lines interrupted in the middle by the appropriate symbol. Most of the lines would be straight but there could be a few jogs to help avoid crossovers.

Spectral classes are almost impossible to see except for class A.

Jarrod

Well, and White Dwarf, though I think GJ 2034 & GJ 1087 are the only ones of those. The Red Dwarves aren't too bad, since there's a jillion of them. The Spectral classes are just there as bonus info though, I don't think they're vital info in any way.

-Kle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:55 am 

Jarrod Lemire wrote:

Oh, you can't pin that one on me. ;)

I made the initial subway map in color. I had nothing to do with the black and white Settings Book version of the subway map.

Post subject: Re: Extrasolar Planets (Real Ones) on the Ten Worlds Map
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:19 am 

Ethan McKinney wrote:
Does anyone know how many of the extrasolar planets discovered in the last few years fall within the "known space" of the the Ten Worlds? Say, inside the cubic volume of the 3-D map in the middle of the setting book?

Epsilon Eridani b
SCR 1845 b
GJ 674 b
Gliese 876 b
Gliese 876 c
Gliese 876 d
Gl 581 b
Gl 581 c
Gl 581 d
Gj 849 b
Gj 317 b
HD 285968 b

Pacifica is the farthest know of the Ten Worlds, at 9.18 parsecs from the Sun (29.9 light years). So you can figure that "known space" is a sphere that is either 10 parsecs or 30 light years in radius, depending on whether you prefer parsecs or light years.

So you can go to the Extrasolar Planets Catalog
http://exoplanet.eu/catalog.php
sort by distance, and read them off.

Most of them are in the Internet Stellar Database
http://www.stellar-database.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:51 am 

Winchell Chung wrote:
Jarrod Lemire wrote:

Oh, you can't pin that one on me. ;)

I made the initial subway map in color. I had nothing to do with the black and white Settings Book version of the subway map.

Would you be willing to make a revised black and white subway map? We don't need the "in system" travel time squares any more, so the entire process should be simpler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:04 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Would you be willing to make a revised black and white subway map? We don't need the "in system" travel time squares any more, so the entire process should be simpler.

I'll look into it, but I fear I will not have the time. I'm spending too much time already on High Trader.