Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Star names on map
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 pm 

In an effort to make an informerd observation and to answer Winchell when he asked what changes I would do to improve the kinds of maps used in Ten Worlds, I was doing some research on the various stars on the map. I appreciate that he is asking for feedback, not that I expect him to actually go out of his way to redo his maps for me.. heh heh.. Yet! (kidding)..

I've found the information I needed on most of them so I can lay them out and poke and prod them to get an idea of the challenges in mapping 3d displays but some of the Star names stubbornly refuse to release thier secrets.

I understand that they ARE taken from the real universe as we can see it from Earth but I have no clue where they are at.. one of them was a spelling error, Beta Canum Venacticorum is actually "Venaticorum", not sure if that is a typo.

These are the ones that I absolutely can not find real world references on:

CP-68°41
CP-73°2299
GJ 1057
GJ 1151
NN 3379
NN 3522
NN 3789
USNO 694

There is also one that is a bit confusing since it seems to be much farther away than all of the other stars I could locate, BD+11°2440, which is listed at 162 Light Years away in the only (seemingly reliable) reference I could find.. perhaps their distance is off and I am going to check it myself, haven't had a chance to plug all the numbers I dug up yet.

Thanks for any help, (heh heh) and for feeding my addiction for stats and maps and such..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:38 pm 

I've been putting together a setting myself as a hobby, and with some obscure red dwarves you may find them on some starmap and then do a google search that turns up one find after like ten pages of results.

Also, every once in a while you find one that's listed on a starmap as being fairly near, but when you check some other source it turns out that the parallax was bad and it's actually a couple hundred light years or even a few kiloparsecs away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:52 pm 

not sure if this helps

last updated 2004
http://www-kpno.kpno.noao.edu/Info/Cach ... talog.html