Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: physics of radiators
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:37 pm 

I thought radiating fins or spikes were only marginally effective in space. Any gain is lost by the energy being absorbed by another fin. IIRC they require a heat conductive media to function.

Is this incorrect?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: physics of radiators
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:51 pm 

Roger Books wrote:
I thought radiating fins or spikes were only marginally effective in space. Any gain is lost by the energy being absorbed by another fin. IIRC they require a heat conductive media to function.

Is this incorrect?

That is the case - however, "marginally effective" is not the same as "requires a heat conductive medium to function". They still work by radiating waste heat; they're just grossly less efficient than most folks consider.

For every J of useful power, you need to dispose of 4 J of waste heat, which is what that thermo proof in the rulebook covers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:51 pm 

You have to be very careful that the radiators don't "re-radiate" onto another surface. In practice, this means that your radiators can't be closer than 90 degrees offset from each other (and preferably 120 degrees offset). In my own fictional universe, my radiators have an "X" cross section when viewing the ship from fore or aft. This gives the maximum possible radiating surface with minor re-radiation.

Commentor-at-large

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:05 am 

They can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Charles Oines and Ken were fully aware of the 90 degree rule, but the dramatic visual image of a warship looking like a spiked mace was just too good a picture to pass up.

Post subject: Radiators and Art
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:07 am 

Winchell Chung wrote:
They can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Charles Oines and Ken were fully aware of the 90 degree rule, but the dramatic visual image of a warship looking like a spiked mace was just too good a picture to pass up.

More or less true. The spike radiators on the engines are trading some re-radiation effects for artistic license. :)

As a general rule, you want your radiators 180 degres apart if possible; particularly if they're retractable. Less duplication of machinery to get broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 am 

NASA has adopted the 180 and 120 rules in all their advanced concept designs, and the original "dragonfly" drawings of the Discovery in the "2001" movie pre-production art shows a 120 degree radiator design.

I don't think the engine radiators on the AV:T ships are too bad - re-radiation is minimal since the radiators are small, and the drive cage is pretty open anyway.

Interestingly, the designs for MTF (Magnetically Targetted Fusion) look a lot like an AV:T drive cage.

Commentor-at-large

Post subject: Re: Radiators and Art
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:03 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Winchell Chung wrote:

More or less true. The spike radiators on the engines are trading some re-radiation effects for artistic license. :)

Artistic license is an excellent reason. I have to admit the ships look great. Of course I would think this because they looksimilar to the ore prospecting ship I use for my Avatar. It was designed years ago for an anime RPG.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:15 pm 

In general, reradiating problems are dependent on what portion of the 'sky' is obscured from a view on the surface of the radiator. The spike radiators aren't too bad, though there's no real advantage unless we assume there's another technical reason for how they're designed (probably related to the fuel ignition or containment system).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:11 pm 

Anthony Jackson wrote:
In general, reradiating problems are dependent on what portion of the 'sky' is obscured from a view on the surface of the radiator. The spike radiators aren't too bad, though there's no real advantage unless we assume there's another technical reason for how they're designed (probably related to the fuel ignition or containment system).

Another reason to scatter radiators around the bell is resistance to damage. If you have 2 radiator wings one laser or kinetic shot could disable half your heat rejection capacity. Scattering spikes on the surface of the engine bell gives considerable redundancy, which is important since it is difficult to armour radiators.

- Bill Seney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:10 pm 

Matt Picio wrote:
Interestingly, the designs for MTF (Magnetically Targetted Fusion) look a lot like an AV:T drive cage.
That's actually what I based the design on. It had the overwhelming artistic advantage of not looking like the standard sci-fi rocket cluster. Using the fusion cage thingy gave the AV:T ships a look that's unique and instantly recognizeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:40 pm 

I think you're going to see a lot more designs like that in the future - the ICAN II is similar, and a number of NASA's future design concepts seem to be converging on that type of nozzle.

Commentor-at-large

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:15 pm 

One niggling question came to me as I waded through the various steps needed to determine that heating up liquid metals was or was not better than a total loss steam cooling system (depending on how pressurised your system and whether you run the steam through an energy recovery turbine, the argument can go either way; unless replenishing the water in a timely fashion is an issue).

How do you get the heat out of the heat sinks once the temperature of the metal drops to the designed operating temperature of the radiators?

The likely and unpleasant possibility is that the whole ship warms to the point that the rate of heat leaking from the sinks to the ship match the rate of radiation off of the ship's hull.

[edit]
I have since determined that you just run the radiators at a lower temperature. The thermal radiation rate goes down, but you can keep running the radiators at decreasing effectiveness for as long as the metal remains a liquid.