Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: FTL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:17 am 

What's the means of FTL in the setting? Is it a Honorverse style navigable hyperspace, or is it a point to point wormhole/warp-point deal? I've heard references to hyperdrives as ship systems, but I also seem to recall hearing some reference to some sort of jump point being present in each star system. I'm not asking for a technobabble explanation of the inner workings of the FTL (lest we all take a fatal dose of radiation from the handwavium), I'm asking for the external workings of it, such as travel time (if any), possibility of combat in FTL (I haven't seen any reference to it, so I assume it doesn't happen), effects upon ships and crews (classic sci-fi hyperspace nausea?), possibilities to abort or change destinations enroute, etc...

Post subject: Re: FTL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:27 am 

Jonathan Brase wrote:
What's the means of FTL in the setting? Is it a Honorverse style navigable hyperspace, or is it a point to point wormhole/warp-point deal?

The latter.

Quote:
<snip>I'm asking for the external workings of it, such as travel time (if any),

Very short or possibly instantaneous.

Quote:
possibility of combat in FTL (I haven't seen any reference to it, so I assume it doesn't happen),

No possibility.

Quote:
effects upon ships and crews (classic sci-fi hyperspace nausea?),

Don't know, possibly undefined. No evidence in 'Honey Trap' in NJ1, when they go through transition.

Quote:
possibilities to abort or change destinations enroute, etc...

Don't think so.

There are jump points 'Rabbit Holes" near to stars. Your vector when entering them determines how you come out, most of the time involved in RH-to-RH travel is used in adjusting your exit vector to the entry vector for the next jump. The better your navigator, the less time it takes. I don't know if there are single or multiple RHs in each system, some things seem to indicate multiple.

You need a hyperdrive to use the RH. There are multiple kinds of Jump routes (alpha, beta, etc.), you need the corresponding kind of hyperdrive to use the route (alpha, beta...). Alphas are the shortest routes, Epsilons are the longest (known?).
-Kle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:40 am 

Jon,

Here's a link to a wiki-style encyclopedia for the TW setting. There's an article on hyperdrives which answers your questions and provides the narrative reasons for why hyperdrives work the way they do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:08 pm 

I see...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:19 pm 

Klebert L. Hall wrote:
Quote:
<snip>I'm asking for the external workings of it, such as travel time (if any),

Very short or possibly instantaneous.

Quote:
effects upon ships and crews (classic sci-fi hyperspace nausea?),

Don't know, possibly undefined. No evidence in 'Honey Trap' in NJ1, when they go through transition.
<snip>
You need a hyperdrive to use the RH. There are multiple kinds of Jump routes (alpha, beta, etc.), you need the corresponding kind of hyperdrive to use the route (alpha, beta...). Alphas are the shortest routes, Epsilons are the longest (known?).
-Kle.

Last Ken said anything directly on it, it's not instantaneous, but it's pretty short.

As for "Honey Trap", Ken had stated previously that the whole "nausea" ill-effects thing has been done in so much fiction that it's practically a given. And generally, Ken doesn't like to do what everyone else is doing. :wink: So, I didn't add any discernible effects when I wrote "Honey Trap", and Ken didn't have any edits on it in that respect.

One of the problems (and honors) of writing an early piece of fiction in the setting is that it becomes canon, and everything that comes after has to take the previous stuff into account.

As for hyperdrive types, the only ones commonly used are Gamma, Delta and Epsilon. Alpha and Beta are not normally used (IIRC, it's because the drives themselves are HUGE)

Commentor-at-large

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:58 pm 

Matt Picio wrote:

Last Ken said anything directly on it, it's not instantaneous, but it's pretty short.

Yep. We are very carefully not opening that box to see how active the cat is.

Quote:
And generally, Ken doesn't like to do what everyone else is doing. :wink: So, I didn't add any discernible effects when I wrote "Honey Trap", and Ken didn't have any edits on it in that respect.

We ran numbers on it, and discovered that any frequency that would be interesting enough to make it worth checking in an RPG would pretty much kill any kind of interstellar commerce. So, it happens, but it happens only when it's Dramatically Appropriate (tm)

Quote:
As for hyperdrive types, the only ones commonly used are Gamma, Delta and Epsilon. Alpha and Beta are not normally used (IIRC, it's because the drives themselves are HUGE)

There are two Beta transitions on the map, and one Alpha transition. Both of those drives are ~2 hull spaces to mount. Neither of the stars with the Beta or Alpha links are particularly useful, or uniquely accessable through those links. (There is a mild utility to the one Alpha level link - it'll show up at some point in a piece of fiction.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:26 pm 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Quote:
And generally, Ken doesn't like to do what everyone else is doing. :wink: So, I didn't add any discernible effects when I wrote "Honey Trap", and Ken didn't have any edits on it in that respect.

We ran numbers on it, and discovered that any frequency that would be interesting enough to make it worth checking in an RPG would pretty much kill any kind of interstellar commerce. So, it happens, but it happens only when it's Dramatically Appropriate (tm)

I'm not sure that hyperspace nausea alone, even if frequent and severe, would kill interstellar commerece. Some people will do a lot for money...
My big problem with hyperspace nausea is that I think it takes a fair bit of handwavium to explain why using a particular FTL scheme induces nausea (although not much of the sci-fi that has HN bothers to explain why it happens). Unless you need to start spinning your craft at high rpms before activating the FTL device and everyone gets motion sickness I don't see many ways that FTL could induce nausea without having other potentially serious effects... For example, if your FTL somehow affects the nervous system, I could see it inducing seziures instead of, or as well as, nausea, and that might well kill interstellar commerce...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 am 

the general consensus on HN in other fiction is that you're being taken from your nice, safe, four-dimensional world and catapulted through one with five or six dimensions, and the ill effect is induced by being pulled in a direction that to your frame of reference doesn't exist.

-Schlock Mercenary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:48 am 

I suggested to Ken than instead of HN, the jump triggers a sneezing fit, similar to the way some people (myself included) sneeze when stepping into bright sunlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:35 pm 

Brian Raff wrote:
the general consensus on HN in other fiction is that you're being taken from your nice, safe, four-dimensional world and catapulted through one with five or six dimensions, and the ill effect is induced by being pulled in a direction that to your frame of reference doesn't exist.
But as long as you are staying in a nice four dimensional arrangement and parts of you aren't drifting off into the fifth and sixth dimensions, and as long as you aren't interacting with matter or radiation coming at you from a direction not in your "plane," you shouldn't have any effects different from if you were still safe in your little four dimensional world. If you are experiencing any of the aforementioned things, I'd think it would be quickly or even instantaneously lethal...