Full name:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: hyperdrives
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:48 pm 

The question deals with faster the light drive systems. Does any one have any ideal how much energy they would need, there size or any other pieces of infomation on hyperdrives?

Post subject: Re: hyperdrives
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 pm 

Andrew Nelson wrote:
The question deals with faster the light drive systems. Does any one have any ideal how much energy they would need, there size or any other pieces of infomation on hyperdrives?

In AV:T, their energy costs are printed on the SSD; the energy cost is contingent on the amount of mass you have when making the translation.

The size of a hyperdrive in AV:T depends on the level of hyperspace you'd be using, with Gamma, Delta and Epsilon being the most common. The cost/size is fixed per level, but the energy required increases with the mass needed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:12 pm 

Ok which one is the SSD?

Also yes I have noted that there are three types of hyperdrives and that gunboat don't have drives, and must be carrier by an mother ship. Which most of the time only has room for two. Could you gives some more details on the three types of hyperdrives and how you think they work. I read the book and saw the history, but didn't see an infomation on them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:59 pm 

Andrew Nelson wrote:
Ok which one is the SSD?

Also yes I have noted that there are three types of hyperdrives and that gunboat don't have drives, and must be carrier by an mother ship. Which most of the time only has room for two. Could you gives some more details on the three types of hyperdrives and how you think they work. I read the book and saw the history, but didn't see an infomation on them.

Hyperdrives require you activate them in an orbiting point with a negative gravitational potentil; this point is found close to stars, mostly because it made the rest of the math easier, and made the logistics less stupid.

You get to magic rabbit hole point. You do lots of scary math. You turn on hyperdrive.

If you did the math right, you appear at the magic point at your destination star. If you did it wrong, you appear in the coronasphere or center of the destination star. If you did it really wrong, you appear in the depths of interstellar space.

Hyperdrives will move you a fixed distance (with a bit of wiggling) based on type; these distances were derived by tacking the Planck distance and iterating through the Fibonacci sequence until we got distances measured in light years.

Conveniently, one of those distances happened to be about 8.33 light years, which is a handy distance in the area around Sol.

How does it work beyond that? I'm not saying. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 pm 

Andrew Nelson wrote:
Ok which one is the SSD?

The SSD is the sheet for a particular ship. Look in the block in the upper left corner. The hyperdrive costs are in power points (the same points as for firing weapons). The rules (Science Behind the Rules) gives the points-to-real-power conversion, which escapes me.

Short answer: it's a lot of power.

No, really.

Stop laughing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:56 am 

Ken Burnside wrote:
If you did it really wrong, you appear in the depths of interstellar space.

And in case it isn't clear, then you slowly die as your ship runs out of power and consumables, since it is impossible to re-enter hyperspace if you ship is located in the depths of interstellar space. Your ship will probably never be found, much less your dead bodies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:44 am 

Ken, so it like opening an wormhole with energy type of drive?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:23 am 

Andrew Nelson wrote:

I'm very deliberately not saying. Not because I want to be mean, but because the only thing that answering in more detail will do is trigger a cascade of questions that will cause others to go "I can poke a hole in that..."

You get to magic point A, you feed energy into appropriate magic point B, you transition in an improbably small amount of time that's difficult enough to measure that it might as well be instantaneous...

And for the actual play of the game, it makes appreciably no difference other than you can lose if your hyperdrives get smashed, or you lose so much battery capacity that you can't activate them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 am 

Ken Burnside wrote:
Andrew Nelson wrote:

I'm very deliberately not saying. Not because I want to be mean, but because the only thing that answering in more detail will do is trigger a cascade of questions that will cause others to go "I can poke a hole in that..."

You get to magic point A, you feed energy into appropriate magic point B, you transition in an improbably small amount of time that's difficult enough to measure that it might as well be instantaneous...

And for the actual play of the game, it makes appreciably no difference other than you can lose if your hyperdrives get smashed, or you lose so much battery capacity that you can't activate them.

And then there are those of us that can argue even when we have no facts to argue for or against. Its called the debate society. So I can poke a hole in that as there is no magic. Its all science that is beyound anyone but a couple of rap groups and a blues band.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 pm 

Terrence FitzSimons wrote:
So I can poke a hole in that as there is no magic. Its all science that is beyound anyone but a couple of rap groups and a blues band.

Sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!!!

-Schlock Mercenary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:34 pm 

You're making Ten Worlds: The Movie and the effects team wants to know: what does a ship look like when it lights its hyperdrive?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 pm 

Matthew Rigney wrote:
You're making Ten Worlds: The Movie and the effects team wants to know: what does a ship look like when it lights its hyperdrive?

For which nation. As each uses a different coolent medium combination, each has a different color.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 pm 

Matthew Rigney wrote:

It probably looks very boring. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:55 pm 

Good answer :)

Profile E-mail